X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desertdawg
    replied
    Re: Random Shot Of The Day - Part 2

2018 - And another sport plane pit shot.

On a side note, there're pits were the first (westerly wind) tumble weed trapper. :-)

Last edited by Desertdawg; 08-15-2020, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• knot4u
    replied

Strega, Voodoo and the Bearcat, the last really fast air racers and they're not going to race. Who would've thought it would end like this?

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

2018 - Sport Class Pits

Beautiful planes

So sleek and still they find minor adjustments here and there to gain better airflow.

Leave a comment:

• Air Boss
    replied

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    Check out the lookieloos at the old Pylon 6. That situation got really dangerous, and impossible for the pylon judges. Eventually RARA and the airport got control over that land, put up fences, and got things under control. It was nice out there for a few years, before the general public found out about it.
    Great look, Neal.

Good catch with the two people on the right foreground holding their ears.

No doubt the folks on top of the Jimmy are FAA, right?

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

Things were out of control all over the back of the course. This was Lefty on the way to his Championship. Photo from a much older Pylon 2.

Dangerous...

Neal
    Neal,

Good thing RARA/Washoe County secured the land and fenced the course off.

Thanks for taking shots like that and sharing them.

What a time, I bet the 3 boys on the roof of the suburban have good memories and tell stories of being there.

Leave a comment:

• Fence Sence
    replied

Things were out of control all over the back of the course. This was Lefty on the way to his Championship. Photo from a much older Pylon 2.

Dangerous...

Neal
    Whoa. That’s crazy. We always hung out in the VOS back then. It would be another 3 or 4 years before I started ducking the barbed wire fence to get out on the course.

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

2017 F1 Hanger Sharing Knowledge

Leave a comment:

• CubersWrist
    replied

From fb
    Click image for larger version

Name:	618156CA-B672-4BF1-8EB6-21348C903F98.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	231429

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

Oh ya, the Wild West days.

The hill is my best memory, standing in the bed of my truck and heres comes Lefty.

Several other racers showed their skill level.

"Wanna play chicken, wait till next lap"

I have to admit, I ducked more than once.

Early 80s, while VOS still had a old barb wire fence you could easily get under.

We'd get under the fence for the Sunday gold race. Same adrenaline there in the middle of the flight line. I took several rolls of 35mm slides hunkered down while there "put a bead" on us. Slide scanner is on my wish list, and I will share here.

I know, now that I am older I have a bit more sense than being a 20 something punk.

But the memories are permanently burned into my brain.

Hopefuly they are still around 30 years from now when I am in my rocking chair at 95 sneaking a shot of Jager and telling stories to the grand kids.

Leave a comment:

• wingman
    replied

Dangerous...

Neal
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Air Boss
    replied

Check out the lookieloos at the old Pylon 6. That situation got really dangerous, and impossible for the pylon judges. Eventually RARA and the airport got control over that land, put up fences, and got things under control. It was nice out there for a few years, before the general public found out about it.
    A bit before my time but I've heard stories. This was the first pylon I was assigned to after my first year as a judge (2002) and the old salts out on Outer 6 were very happy that RTAA took over the land and fenced it. Got pretty wild at times. Talk about trying to herd cats!

Leave a comment:

• wingman
    replied

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Air Boss
    replied

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Always Enjoy this show. The drag race.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24989[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24990[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24991[/ATTACH]
    One of THE greatest guys in all of the airshow business! Incredible pilot and performer...an even better human being.

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

Always Enjoy this show. The drag race.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X