X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied
    Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

I've always approached the Reno National Championship Air Races in a way that would promote the sport. I've served as "publicist" for more than one team over the years.

It is my "professional" and humble opinion that RARA would be absolutely shooting themselves in the foot if they do not do anything that would help the team's efforts. An extension of the deadline till Sunday should be a no brainer for them!

Why even race if rules run the day even prior to the actual event. Just hand the check to the Sanders and let it be.

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    There's still time, if everything goes without issue... Really sucks though.
    That's correct buddy... there is still time as long as nothing goes wrong... and we all know those odds. Regardless, the crew remains committed to getting Miss A to Stead prior to the deadline.

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Please DON'T rush getting the plane ready as we don't need another Czech Mate incident. RARA should make some leeway in a case like this even if rules are rules.
    I wouldn't describe the activity at the hangar as rushed, even in the slightest. I would describe it more as methodical, deliberate, and focused - more of a steady workflow without any wasted time and/or effort. Rick Shanholtzer is already on his way to the hangar and should be arriving in about 30 minutes to oversee the operation and do the engine testing. Ricks bringing down some modified parts for the induction trunk, and after that goes on the motor Greg & Scotty both said that we should be doing the engine run-ups by the evening - with test flights scheduled for early tomorrow morning. After that, fly 1/2 way to Stead, park it for the evening, then making the Saturday deadline. We'll let you know as soon as the situation changes.

Yes, there is a way that Brent could still compete even if he arrives late according to the crew. However, that would require the approval of two individuals at RARA & Dennis Sanders (I assume is now the acting president for the unlimited class) - something that I don't feel is a direction the team wants to pursue at this time. No, the rules are the rules as Greg said.

As stated earlier - the crew is working hard to make this happen, and if luck holds out it will. Here's a parting photo fresh from the hangar. Now ain't that one pretty yellow & chrome aftercooler assembly!!!! Looks fast just sitting there - makes me wonder just what is inside that's going to allow Brent to run 125 inches of manifold pressure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	232206

More later!!!!

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Please DON'T rush getting the plane ready as we don't need another Czech Mate incident. RARA should make some leeway in a case like this even if rules are rules.
    Especially after doing the proactive thing and calling RARA to clarify, and then being told incorrect information by a RARA employee. Ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Lockheed Bob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
    Interesting development - the crew just informed me that the previous deadline of Sunday at 5pm is now as Race5 said earlier - Saturday at noon. Apparently the person at RARA was mistaken & the rules have indeed changed. Interesting development, any wiggle room just went away and there now is a bigger chance of a no show for Miss A. Hate to have to say it, but them's the facts jack.
    There's still time, if everything goes without issue... Really sucks though.

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Interesting development - the crew just informed me that the previous deadline of Sunday at 5pm is now as Race5 said earlier - Saturday at noon. Apparently the person at RARA was mistaken & the rules have indeed changed. Interesting development, any wiggle room just went away and there now is a bigger chance of a no show for Miss A. Hate to have to say it, but them's the facts jack.

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Good news! Race motor has arrived and is already in the aircraft as of 7:00am today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_01.jpg
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	232202 Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_02.jpg
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	232203 Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_03.jpg
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	232204 Click image for larger version

Name:	090822_04.jpg
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	232205

I faded last night a little after midnight and came home. These are pictures that Brent sent to me this morning. I plan on heading up to the hangar again later this afternoon. Until then
    Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 09-08-2022, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mitchcarley
    replied

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
    Well, it's 11:30pm and still waiting. Obviously there's been a delay - the reason unknown at this time. Sticking here awhile longer so I'll report back when I have something. ttys
    Mark - the value you are bringing to me and I am sure so many others -
    THANK YOU!!!
    Yes, Doc, Greg, Scotty and entire team - Safety & God Speed.
    Last edited by mitchcarley; 09-08-2022, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Well, it's 11:30pm and still waiting. Obviously there's been a delay - the reason unknown at this time. Sticking here awhile longer so I'll report back when I have something. ttys

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Hi guys.... I'm sitting here at Miss America's hangar and I have a little news to share... some good and bad news. At the current time the race motor has yet to arrive. Crew member Greg Butler informed me that Rick Shanholtzer called at 9am this morning with the good news that the motor was ready. Not wanting to wait one minute longer team member Scotty Butler loaded up the truck, hitched up the trailer and headed down to Texas just before 11am. So currently, the motor is enroute and should arrive anytime now. Actually I had to leave and go home to take care of the cats for the evening and just got back to the hangar. When I left Greg & Johnny were waiting for Scotty to arrive. Now that I'm back, they're gone so I can only assume that Scotty may have had something happen that he needed help with. Regardless, I'll hang here for awhile longer and wait - I'm as curious to find out what's up as any of you guys... maybe even moreso since I took tommorow off so I cover this developing story.

OK... the good news. Brent called RARA and verified that he has until Sunday, 5pm to make it to Stead.... very doable and has taken a bit of heat off the crew (they read what was posted here and immediately called to verify the rules they were reading were correct... Sunday 5pm and not Saturday noon).

Alrighty then - I'll post more when I get it and with any luck that will be sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• THE BEARMAN #77
    replied

I beg of you, team miss America, please be safe.

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Hoping it doesn't get to that point.
    We'll have a better idea later tonight.
    Just got off work, gotta do some house stuff, eat, then I'm off.

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
    It has become a lot more strict over the past several years. They would 100% tell him no if he misses the deadline. The only possible exception would be if the delay is legitimately weather related.
    Got it.

To your other question, I would estimate it takes about 6 hours of flying time to get to KRTS at 300mph cruise. 90 minutes split over two gas/food stops, gain back 2 hours from the time change. Leaving Saturday morning would be a stretch even if everything goes as planned. Maybe a Friday evening departure and spend the night somewhere halfway. Hoping it doesn't get to that point.

Leave a comment:

• Race5
    replied

How strict is this really? I know rules are rules, but are they really going to tell Brent he can't race if he shows up Sunday... That's RARA shooting themselves in the foot. Might look like special treatment to some of the other racers (in all classes) that pushed to make the deadline, but hey technically RARA could've given them grace too, they just didn't ask... If this is more of a FAA thing, then I understand that more.
    It has become a lot more strict over the past several years. They would 100% tell him no if he misses the deadline. The only possible exception would be if the delay is legitimately weather related.

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
    How long does it take him to get from OK to Stead? Arrival cutoff is noon on Saturday.
    How strict is this really? I know rules are rules, but are they really going to tell Brent he can't race if he shows up Sunday... That's RARA shooting themselves in the foot. Might look like special treatment to some of the other racers (in all classes) that pushed to make the deadline, but hey technically RARA could've given them grace too, they just didn't ask... If this is more of a FAA thing, then I understand that more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X