X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt58
    replied
    Re: Reno Air Races 2022 Qualifying Updates

The live feed on YouTube is saying smoke delay but the announcers just said it?s slowly clearing and they were towing the T-6s out. Hopefully it gets better!

Leave a comment:

• Lon Moer
    replied

Originally posted by Reever View Post
    Sitting here on the backside of the course 10:10 am Thursday and it doesn't look too good.
    I'm seeing postings saying the race course is closed due to smoke......
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Reever
    replied

Sitting here on the backside of the course 10:10 am Thursday and it doesn't look too good.

Leave a comment:

• Pylon1_Mark
    replied

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
    Smoke rolled in again early and thick. I left the field around 4:40 and the C-17 was the only thing I saw coming in. When it hits, it hits hard. Everyday has been really nice though. I feel bad for the campers though. Tales of campers going into town and getting hotel rooms because the smoke is overwhelming. Can?t imagine being in a tent.
    Watching the live feed and the smoke does look very thick, definitely can't see the back of the course. Wonder how many races they'll get in? Shame - real shame. Hopefully it will clear out soon.

Leave a comment:

• Fence Sence
    replied

Smoke rolled in again early and thick. I left the field around 4:40 and the C-17 was the only thing I saw coming in. When it hits, it hits hard. Everyday has been really nice though. I feel bad for the campers though. Tales of campers going into town and getting hotel rooms because the smoke is overwhelming. Can?t imagine being in a tent.

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

Thanks to everyone with boots on the ground posting, those of us unable to attend really appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Looking at Flightaware, Palm Springs' C-47 landed around 3:45, so hopefully visibility approaching the field is ok. The TFR goes until after 5:00 today, so I would imagine NAHI arrivals will still be happening. I believe a lot usually come in Tuesday evening with Wednesday being opening day. Some might have to adjust to arrive in the morning. On the military side, we got a ton of arrivals last year on Friday evening. It seemed like only a handful arrived on Wednesday/Thursday, so I wouldn't be too worried about military static yet. But I am with you that if smoke keeps rolling in the afternoons, it could become an issue quick.

Leave a comment:

• wadeh
    replied

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    For everyone's clarification, Sport *181 Karl Grove did mayday. Lots of smoke. Landed safely and towed off.
    Ugh.

Sorry for the incorrect race number. All I had with me was my phone. I hate typing on a phone screen. I have to back up and fix about 20% of the letters I type. I thought that I proof read it adequately and fixed the typos, but apparently not. And on an important detail, as well.

<sigh>

Leave a comment:

• wadeh
    replied

Ok, I am back at the camper now.

We stopped by Race 181's spot in the pits, and they were working on it. There was no visible damage to the airframe or cowl (which was on the ground as they were looking at the engine). From the conversation, it sounds like they broke a piston. I'm not sure where the flames came from, but now suspect that it was from the exhaust.

We were chatting with someone outside the 181 pit (not affiliated with the team). He said that he had heard that Race 24 lost a turbo, which was why he mayday'ed.

It looks like it might be a tough year for the fast sport planes. Race 39 was out on the ramp, but did not fly. It looked like the Race 30 folks were working on one of the turbos all day long. It might be a busy morning tomorrow, with people trying to get qualified.

We stopped by the Shanty Irish pits again. They finished their repairs and were ready to do some testing on the engine. As we were standing there, I noticed that the cover on the pitot tube under the right wing was smoking. We brought it to their attention, and they were appreciative. Our suspicion is that the pitot heat may be been on, which got the cover hot enough to smoke and partially melt. When we were leaving the pit area, they had moved out onto the ramp and it was running, which was great news.

At the start of the day, it was still raining from the night before. We waited until after the rain stopped, just before 8:30 and went in. It was a pretty comfortable day, but around 3:00, the smoke rolled in, and visibility is now a problem. There are still lots of non-racing planes that are not here yet. We counted 4 planes in the static display area. The only military planes that are here so far are two F-22's. For two days in a row now, the weather has pretty much shut things down around 3:00. If that trend continues, I am curious how many more arrivals they'll be able to get. Also, if the same pattern continues through the week, it might be tough getting all of the races in.

Leave a comment:

• Sky Critter
    replied

Glad everyone is OK. I was really hoping Karl was going to be up there pushing the top 3. That monster he has under the cowl seems to be fighting him at every opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Originally posted by wadeh View Post
    I?m on my phone, so I?ll be brief.

Sport 171 just landed safely after a serious mayday. It started blowing black smoke at the home pylon. It turned white as he was making for 14. He landed with visible flames. It looked like he got out safely and they got the fire out. They are towing it back now.

Race 24 also maydayed, but circled for a bit before landing safely.
    Thanks wadeh.

For everyone's clarification, Sport *181 Karl Grove did mayday. Lots of smoke. Landed safely and towed off.

Race 24 Jim Rust did mayday and taxiied back under his own power. No smoke.

Leave a comment:

• wadeh
    replied

I?m on my phone, so I?ll be brief.

Sport 171 just landed safely after a serious mayday. It started blowing black smoke at the home pylon. It turned white as he was making for 14. He landed with visible flames. It looked like he got out safely and they got the fire out. They are towing it back now.

Race 24 also maydayed, but circled for a bit before landing safely.

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

Jet Qualifying Finished - heat pairings here -

Gold is crazy fast

Leave a comment:

• GRNDP51
    replied

First F1 session was scrubbed for lightning, but they were allowed to tag on to the end of Biplane. Sounds like the beautiful brand new F1 'Deja Vu' had a takeoff incident and flipped over. Pilot got out, presumably ok. Might be some finishing up F1 during the open session tomorrow, I'm not sure if everyone finished.

Leave a comment:

• AAFO_WSagar
    replied

Thanks everyone for keeping the info flowing! We're so spoiled! I remember sitting sitting in the old media shack in the wee hours uploading updates and a few photos of stuff we'd sent to one hour labs in Reno and scanned on site LOL!!

Thanks to the photo gods for digital!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X