Bardahl Special 2023?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
    This news got me to thinking... since this doesn't appear to be a rumor - it certainly is a major league ambitious timeline! One would think that 3 months before Reno is pushing things a bit, and we all know those guys down in SoCal know their stuff. If any group can pull this off its them, without a doubt.

Initially I thought that they had three months...three months to Reno is pretty tight - now let's discuss why 3 months just went to less than 2!!!

I'm sure the teams are aware of all the rules, but are the fans? One of them concerns modifying an aircraft for unlimited competition.

If a major modification or major alteration has been incorporated on any aircraft since the last time the aircraft raced at Reno or within the last twelve (12) month period preceding the anticipated race month, all provisions established by the FAA for a major modification or major alteration, through the FAA approved Operating Limitations, must be accomplished, and documented in the aircraft records prior to arrival at Reno/Stead (RTS). Such documentation and related correspondence shall be made available to the FAA and RARA at Pilot Registration and to the Class Aircraft Compliance Inspection Team prior to or during, the inspection of the aircraft.

But the biggie is what's contained later in the text...

A flight flutter analysis, test plan and test results will be submitted to verify that the aircraft will safely operate within the structural limits and not be in the flutter region at anticipated race speeds and load factors within the anticipated race flight envelope. The flight test results must be documented to confirm that the potential race pilot will be operating within the flight envelope, at anticipated race speeds, and race power settings. Flight testing must be completed, documented, and submitted by the race aircraft owner/operator to RARA and the Reno FSDO not later than August 15 each race year prior to any participation in a NCAR event.

Maybe we should just call those guys "the Incredibles" because even taking on a project with this type of deadline is astounding. To get it through the modification process and have all testing done before 8/15? Damn, that's incredible . Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think so and there doesn't appear to be a lot of latitude given to go beyond the rules here.

If any event we're about to see a lot of work coming out of the SoCal boys - and that can only build the excitement before Reno!
    I always go back to the iconic Ridge Runner 2009 thread - “RRIII returned home to Hollister following the annual Father's Day Fly-In at Columbia, CA with a bone-stock airframe and an ol' reliable, daily-driver -9 Merlin under the hood.”

The Bardahl team has this locked in
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      I always go back to the iconic Ridge Runner 2009 thread - “RRIII returned home to Hollister following the annual Father's Day Fly-In at Columbia, CA with a bone-stock airframe and an ol' reliable, daily-driver -9 Merlin under the hood.”

The Bardahl team has this locked in
      Cool, I was worried there for a moment. I see where you are coming from, but I think we both know turning RRIII back to a stocker is a whole different kettle of fish then making a stocker into RRIII. Not that it can't be done, it just takes time to add the new pumps, systems, gauges, adjust trim, incidences, and what god knows what. Glad to hear they have it locked in.
      Mark K....

Comment

Cool, I was worried there for a moment. I see where you are coming from, but I think we both know turning RRIII back to a stocker is a whole different kettle of fish than making a stocker into RRIII. Not that it can't be done, it just takes time to add the new pumps, systems, gauges, adjust trim, incidences, and what god knows what. Glad to hear they have it locked in.
        That was prior to the gold mods. They had the same 3 or so months, with less proven parts.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I’m fairly certain the team has been working on this for a while now.
          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
            Correct. Also, nothing they are doing / using is un-proven. The test program will be straight forward once they start flying, which should be very soon.

Comment

You guys might find this interesting. This is what they're saying in the Friends of Planes of Fame group on Facebook. ​
              Attached Files

Comment

I shall call this white Mustang.... Voodahl...

Comment

Originally posted by brendenpavao View Post
                  You guys might find this interesting. This is what they're saying in the Friends of Planes of Fame group on Facebook. ​
                  Lol yeah most of the comments on the Facebook posts are from some of us on here. Same stuff here and there.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post

Lol yeah most of the comments on the Facebook posts are from some of us on here. Same stuff here and there.
                    I figured that might be the case. I've been floating around in the background around here for long enough to know who some of you guys are over there. I've been able to figure it out over the years by taking note of when the good information comes out over there that I only ever expect to come out over here.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      I shall call this white Mustang.... Voodahl...
                      I prefer Bardoodoo

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                        I assumed the build started around the beginning of April actually. After the March 9th announcement of the races being done at Stead following this year, probably took a few weeks to get a team assembled, figure out if it was possible, come up with a plan, and then commit to it. So that would leave us with about 4 1/2 months from stock to tested racer. To me that just seemed "ambitious", not undoable, just a tall order even if things go as planned. Obviously - as the guys posted above - I was incorrect in my concerns.

BUT I still think it's pretty incredible that they have been able to get the project to this point so quickly (as indicated Curtis posted "locked in" and as Race 5 said, should be flying very soon) but even more than that, I'm excited as ever now for September since it's going to make the Gold race this year all the more enjoyable with three top unlimiteds.

Hey, you never know - I'm still hoping for fourth one to come out last minute... stranger things have happened!
                        Mark K....

Comment

I assumed the build started around the beginning of April actually. After the March 9th announcement of the races being done at Stead following this year, probably took a few weeks to get a team assembled, figure out if it was possible, come up with a plan, and then commit to it. So that would leave us with about 4 1/2 months from stock to tested racer. To me that just seemed "ambitious", not undoable, just a tall order even if things go as planned. Obviously - as the guys posted above - I was incorrect in my concerns.

BUT I still think it's pretty incredible that they have been able to get the project to this point so quickly (as indicated Curtis posted "locked in" and as Race 5 said, should be flying very soon) but even more than that, I'm excited as ever now for September since it's going to make the Gold race this year all the more enjoyable with three top unlimiteds.

Hey, you never know - I'm still hoping for fourth one to come out last minute... stranger things have happened!
                          For sure! I too am excited for this years racing! I also hope another dark horse comes out of the stables for one last hoorah!
                          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Just a question. Does the Jet Class have to adhere to the same engineering disclosures, test results and flutter test results as the Unlimited Class? I already know the answer. This is "food for thought" for those who don't know the answer.

P.S. It will be interesting to see if Wayne-O lets this post through. No names are mentioned. No room for slander or libel. Just a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                              Just a question. Does the Jet Class have to adhere to the same engineering disclosures, test results and flutter test results as the Unlimited Class? I already know the answer. This is "food for thought" for those who don't know the answer.

P.S. It will be interesting to see if Wayne-O lets this post through. No names are mentioned. No room for slander or libel. Just a question.
                              Under RARA's Aircraft Eligibility rule there is this sub-heading that applies to all classes: "A flight flutter analysis, test plan and test results will be submitted to verify that the aircraft will safely operate within the structural limits and not be in the flutter region at anticipated race speeds and load factors within the anticipated race flight envelope.​"

Whether that is enforced, or verified, is up for debate. Especially considering some of the things I have learned about jet class tech inspection over the past couple of years.
                              Last edited by Race5; 06-21-2023, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post

Nothing wrong here mate!
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X