• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchem 4.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	839.4 KB
ID:	265440 Rollin'
    ..when i saw this, my mind snapped back to Johnny Kazian's voice, 'Is that some kinda' flyin'? Oh Yeah!
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

• Originally posted by SpinB View Post

..when i saw this, my mind snapped back to Johnny Kazian's voice, 'Is that some kinda' flyin'? Oh Yeah!

Name:	image.png
Views:	471
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	265445

Comment

• There have been some pretty dramatic Reno arrivals over the years, but that one beats them all. Do we know who took the pictures?

Comment

• They're from Walt's collection, a good portion of which he gave Dad. I can think of a few possible candidates but I don't actually know for certain. Eric Everill - Eric's (my brother's) godfather - could have taken these. He was an outstanding photographer, not much known by the air racing world but a professional shooting in other realms like advertising. He traveled to Reno along with Dad in the early years.
          Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

• They were done with quite a long lens -- fairly unusual in those days

Comment

• I must admit that I have known some very likeable Corsairs. This one was owned by an Alabama good ole boy named Merle Gustafson. He did a beautiful great swooping aerobatic routine in this airplane at Reno 1979. I happened to be on pylon 1 (at the runway intersection) for this routine on the first day of racing. It turned out that the intersection was his key point for many of his maneuvers. I'll never forget standing there watching that airplane just get bigger and bigger and then go whistling by at 100 feet high. Very cool...

An old interview with Merle: F4U CORSAIR - "Angel of Okinawa" (youtube.com)

Name:	R79---043.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	570.5 KB
ID:	265450

Name:	R79---044-AO2.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	736.5 KB
ID:	265451

Comment

• Ha! Good memories. More so because we and Dad actually met Merle twice. Not at Reno but in Alabama. Merle was actually from Tallulah, Louisiana, not Alabama. But he was widely known in warbird circles and well liked. He did lots of flying on his own and with the CAF. As you can imagine, Mac was the connection. We hung out with Merle at Mac's place in Eufaula, Alabama. Good guy.

His son Steve Gustafson flew T-6s for a long time, including with the AeroShell Aerobatic Team. Merle passed away in 1984 or 85 - not in a flying accident. He had an accident while welding on a shrimp boat.

The youtube link you sent is cool but there's actually a short documentary that was made in 1975 about Merle with sponsorship from Pennzoil. It's called "The Country Boy Crop Duster". It's good fun to watch and the opening footage is wayyy cool!

F-0089 The Country Boy Crop Duster Merle Gustafson Angel of Okinawa Video (youtube.com)

Btw, "Angel of Okinawa" is still around. I think Kermit Weeks has owned it since the 1990s.
                Last edited by Jan; 07-31-2024, 12:01 AM.
                Jan

Comment

• I have been to Steve's place several times. He took several of us in his cart to the levy in back of his house one evening to show us his little friend settin out there on the log!! This evening when we first entered his house, he had the video you mention above playing about his Dad. Far as I know, he still is flying with the T-6 team although the sponsorship has changed recently. This is not too far from VTR airport where i was working on a customer Mustang at the time.

Name:	Gator[1].jpg
Views:	479
Size:	836.5 KB
ID:	265454

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Merle passed away in 1984 or 85 - not in a flying accident. He had an accident while welding on a shrimp boat.
                    I will always remember that because it was during race week, 1984.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

I will always remember that because it was during race week, 1984.
                      Yep, tragic. I think I remember hearing there was an explosion of some kind but I may be incorrect.
                      Jan

Comment

• So a little quiz question: The Corsair looks a little different in bare metal. This one did race on occasion, and may have been the slowest of all the slow Corsairs. Name the airplane, pilot, and venue.

Lots of clues here...

Neal

Click image for larger version  Name:	M079     510     WEB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	553.4 KB ID:	265458
                        Last edited by wingman; 08-02-2024, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          So a little quiz question: The Corsair looks a little different in bare metal. This one did race on occasion, and may have been the slowest of all the slow Corsairs. Name the airplane, pilot, and venue.

Lots of clues here...

Neal

Click image for larger version Name:	M079 510 WEB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	553.4 KB ID:	265458
                          Bob Gilford, Blue Max.

Comment

• That was fast, and correct. It was at Mojave 1979. This one is Reno 1985. Note the red Sea Fury running up.

Name:	R85    511     WEB 2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	265461

Comment

• Ridge Runner in the background of bare metal Corsair.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRE View Post
                                Ridge Runner in the background of bare metal Corsair.
                                Yep. There was often cool stuff in the background of Mojave shots...

Name:	Mo79  101    WEB.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	265464

Comment

Working...
                                X