• A Mustang shot with good background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo79-G02    WEB  2.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	265466

Comment

• Originally posted by wingman View Post

Yep. There was often cool stuff in the background of Mojave shots...

Name:	Mo79  101    WEB.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	265464

Those C-133 'Weenie Wagons' are STILL parked at Mojave..
      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

• An experiment here. I loaded this pretty big, hoping that a couple of clicks on the image will give a large version and a slider thingie underneath to move across the whole thing. It's a neat lineup of varying sorts of airplanes and vehicles...

It was Mojave 1978, I think.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mojave 1978      2 227 copy  WEB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	782.2 KB ID:	265469
        Last edited by wingman; 08-03-2024, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Here's another biggish scan -- double click twice on the image and you should get it pretty big. Dan Martin was already pretty cheeky -- that's him snuggled right next to Steve Hinton in the Red Baron.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mojave 1979      40    copy  WEB.jpg Views:	25 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	265471
          Last edited by wingman; 08-04-2024, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Here's another biggish scan -- double click twice on the image and you should get it pretty big. Dan Martin was already pretty cheeky -- that's him snuggled right next to Steve Hinton in the Red Baron.

Click image for larger version Name:	Mojave 1979 40 copy WEB.jpg Views:	25 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	265471
            77? was there on Lloyds crew senior in high school. 76 had Darryl Greenamyer with famous oxen towed out to pits? Unfortunate mayday by Lyle Shelton

Comment

Here's another biggish scan -- double click twice on the image and you should get it pretty big. Dan Martin was already pretty cheeky -- that's him snuggled right next to Steve Hinton in the Red Baron.

Click image for larger version Name:	Mojave 1979 40 copy WEB.jpg Views:	25 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	265471
              Not something I was fortunate enough to do... How did you like shooting at Mojave Neal?
              Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

An experiment here. I loaded this pretty big, hoping that a couple of clicks on the image will give a large version and a slider thingie underneath to move across the whole thing. It's a neat lineup of varying sorts of airplanes and vehicles...

It was Mojave 1978, I think.

Click image for larger version Name:	Mojave 1978 2 227 copy WEB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	782.2 KB ID:	265469
                Great shot Neal - Airplanes: Wally McDonnell, "Cotton Jenny", Jim Miller "Texas Gem" (my favorite F1 at the time), two Dehavilland Vampires (plus a Ford F100 pickup), Dan Martin's "Ridge Runner", Fred Sebby's "Green Machine", "Red Baron" with Steve doing the driving, Clay Klabo's "Fat Cat" and a B-25 (don't remember which one).

Other cars, L to R - International Lodestar short-bus school bus, Ford Fairmont in its glorious inaugural year of production, tug.. don't know which brand..., Ford Granada - what you'd buy if you had more money than the Fairmont required...
                Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by niki62;

77? was there on Lloyds crew senior in high school. 76 had Darryl Greenamyer with famous oxen towed out to pits? Unfortunate mayday by Lyle Shelton

No, this was 1979. My first Mojave was in 1978.

Name:	MO79  377     WEB.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	265476

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post

Not something I was fortunate enough to do... How did you like shooting at Mojave Neal?

I loved both the Mojave races I got to shoot. By Mojave 78 I had a couple Renos under my belt, and had already been published a bit I think. Mojave was a bit more relaxed than Reno, and the light and angles were very different. I was working for your Dad, so my access was spectacular. John was deeply invoved in everything and talking to everyone. I was also getting to know a number of the players at this point. I knew Kerchenfout, Crocker, Bob Love, Dan Martin, and others through NAG, in the Bay area where we all lived. I was getting to know the Chino people too. I got my first Warbird ride and my first air to air chances at Mojave. I enjoyed Mojave...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mo79  race160 copy  WEB   1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,005.3 KB ID:	265478
                    Last edited by wingman; 08-05-2024, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• This was at Mojave 1978. My first Pace Plane ride.

Name:	Mo78 pace    834     WEB.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	265481

Comment

• That's great shot Neal. And it makes me smile to hear how you enjoyed Mojave and how Dad helped grease the wheels for opportunities like this air-to-air. Do you remember who was chauffering you in the pace plane?
                        Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          That's great shot Neal. And it makes me smile to hear how you enjoyed Mojave and how Dad helped grease the wheels for opportunities like this air-to-air. Do you remember who was chauffering you in the pace plane?
                          John did a lot more than grease the wheels in this case. He set the whole thing up. I tried to connect with him each morning, and one morning he just said to go to the T-6 area at a certain time for a pace plane flight. I'd never seen the inside of a Warbird at this time. So they load me in with little conversation or anything and off we go. I shot like crazy, and then got a real shock with the pullup to start the race. Nobody told me about that -- Dennis really pulls -- I was a passenger in a couple of race starts by him over the years and it was always the same. So we watch the race and come on in to land. We taxi up in front of the crowd and Dennis stops, turns in his seat and yells "OK, Hop out". I remember a very long moment standing on the seat, engine running and Dennis and the whole world watching while I tried to decide which foot to step out of the airplane with. You need to step on this little peg stuck on the outside of the airplane, and then do a giant step forward and down onto the wing (with two big cameras swinging from my neck). If you start the maneuver wrong you are fu#ked...

Working for John Tegler could be an adventure.

The pilot was Dennis Beuhn -- many time champion in more recent times. The airplane was the black T-6 owned by Jim Mott.

Neal

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mo78 pace    833  WEB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	612.9 KB ID:	265518
                          Last edited by wingman; 08-08-2024, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Good old Dennis. I had a feeling. Never got to share a T-6 with him but the HU-16... now there's another story.

It gave me a chuckle when you mentioned him hauling back on the stick when the race started. As you said, you had been to a couple Renos by then... What were you expecting? Just teasing you Neal...

And I'm also enjoying hearing about how Dad got that ride arranged. When I said "greasing the wheels", I was just using an expression. I know very well how he could make some terrific things happen and yes, he was definitely an adventure to be with. Eric, Chris, Mom and I all benefitted from his dynamism and the force of his personality. We had some amazing experiences and opportunities because of him, and not just in air racing.

He also instilled a measure of that adventurism in Eric, Chris and me. Over the years, I've been able to have lots of unique, up-close-and-personal experiences with people, machines, performing and other things in the realms of music, entertainment, aviation, auto racing, sailing, travel, broadcasting and more. Dad's example and my writing career gave me a roadmap for gaining access to worlds and situations I could never have experienced otherwise.

I may not be wealthy... But as they say, I'm rich in experience.
                            Last edited by Jan; 08-08-2024, 06:32 PM.
                            Jan

Comment

• Working for John Tegler also got me into a 45 minute ride with the Snowbirds. Still one of the most vivid experiences of my life....

Name:	1983  Reno     92     WEB  .jpg
Views:	258
Size:	777.2 KB
ID:	265540

Comment

Working for John Tegler also got me into a 45 minute ride with the Snowbirds. Still one of the most vivid experiences of my life....

Name:	1983  Reno     92     WEB  .jpg
Views:	258
Size:	777.2 KB
ID:	265540
                                Now that was an epic flight. Very cool.

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X