No announcement yet.

Some old Reno pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have absolutely no idea who might have owned that truck -- I just remember thinking it looked cool there. Acess was pretty relaxed back then. During qualifying many of us just drove up the ramp and parked somewhere.

I love these expansive shots with massive detail. I don't have many of them -- a lot of things have to come together to do one and if the light is bad so is the photo. Here is one from somebody's trailer in 1985. Great variety of airplanes -- Skyraider, Sea Fury, C-47 and a whole bunch of those long nose things. All those round engines, and only one airplane being worked on with cowlings off. Mustang guys were ALWAYS working on their airplanes.

The Sport hangar was the Learfan hangar in those days. If you look close you'll see the Learfan sitting in front of the hangar. John Penney was test pilot for Lear at the time -- that's part of how he connected with Lyle and became part of the Rare Bear program.

The Sea Fury was flown by a Hollywood kind of guy named Rick Drury -- that's him on the wing. Rick was a Viet Nam Skyraider pilot and had written a fairly successful book about the experience. He had a VERY glossy (and quite nice) wife and an entourage of his wife's friends as crew. She is the lady with long blond hair to the right of the airplane. Race 43 became a 2 seat t.20 as Jerry Janes' "Cottonmouth".

I'm going to load this one quite large. If you click once you get a new window. Then click again and you should get a big version with slider thingies to move around.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R85  trailer    6351  Demo  WEB  1.jpg Views:	206 Size:	806.6 KB ID:	265996

Last edited by wingman; Yesterday, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• That is a very cool photo and there is as you say, a ton to look at. In addition to the features you mentioned, there are three - count em' - three beauteous Corsairs to gaze upon. And I know you enjoy that. ;-)

There's also that black C-47, the C-1 and by the Lear hangar to the right of the Learfan, a Pagoda-roof Mercedes SL that my memory is telling me may have belonged to one of the Lear clan. But maybe not. I dunno... it's just familiar.
      Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

• Rotating a few degrees to the right gives us this. 1985 was a fun year....

Click image for larger version

Name:	R85 trailer y116 copy.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	909.0 KB
ID:	266008

Comment

• So five Corsairs including the winner which is missing from the picture.

Comment

• 1985 was a great year for variety. Along with all those Corsairs we had 2 B-25, a B-26, a P-38,and the Skyraider. We had R2600, R2800, R3350, Centaurus, and 3 R4360s, along with Merlins and Allisons

It was fun year, even with some bad weather.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R85  7    WEB   1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	709.9 KB ID:	266011
            Last edited by wingman; Yesterday, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• That 1985 Picture is cool, you can see our Family's trailer parked next to the fence at the end of the runway.
              Chris Moldenhauer

Comment

• Sea Furies everywhere you looked, and not one with a 3350...

Name:	R85    NN      705  WEB   3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	266014

Comment

• Those big blue things were consantly getting into my pictures...

Name:	R84  taxi trio104 WEB    4.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	266016

Comment

• Originally posted by wingman View Post

Sea Furies everywhere you looked, and not one with a 3350...

Name:	R85    NN      705  WEB   3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	266014

Is the one in Australian markings Lloyd Hamilton's Baby Gorilla? If so, where is that plane now?

Will

Comment

Working...
                    X