Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roswell 2025

A nice interview on the way forward...

My wife and I watched that last night and started making plans for the event.

Comment

I wonder if the Sanders Sea Fury's will travel that far to race?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
        I wonder if the Sanders Sea Fury's will travel that far to race?
        Not sure, but they went twice as far, all the way to Tunica, MS in 2005. I think Dreadnaught won, and Argonaught was the runner up there

Comment

Really wanting to go but questioning the accessibility. From Oregon, gotta fly to Albuquerque and rent a car and drive 3 hours. Also wondering about the lodging possibilities. Definitely going to try to make it happen.

Comment

We will drive from Northern California and possibly camp on site.

Comment

I'm planning to attend. Coming from Memphis and still considering options (fly/rental/hotel or drive/camp.) Never camped at Reno (mighty long haul from Memphis and I was a sucker for downtown anyway) but given the vibe I think Roswell will likely have in the early years, I am thinking I may need to join the "camp on site" crowd. While I don't own a travel trailer or RV, I do have access to a couple of lighter ones I can rent and pull behind my SUV. As such, I am leaning that direction. Something to be said for going all-in on early experiences. All you have to do is look at our other major thread right now - so many great people and memories from the earlier years at Reno (and elsewhere.) I know the names and the planes will be different, and in some ways no comparison, but the years ahead can be special in their own right if we give them a chance.

Regardless of what each of us does to get there, we should use AAFO as a we always have to share information, plans, and tips/tricks to help us all get Roswell off to the best possible start for all involved.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Fawkes View Post
                I am thinking I may need to join the "camp on site" crowd. While I don't own a travel trailer or RV, I do have access to a couple of lighter ones I can rent and pull behind my SUV. As such, I am leaning that direction.
                I'm thinking about attending too James... and with Rowell being the venue of choice - it also appears a great many of us will be camping on site.

I'm only finding 23 hotels in Roswell with a capacity somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 total beds available. In a news article about the NCAR moving... Mike Espiritu (with the Roswell Chaves County Economic Development Corporation) who has worked with city leaders to get the National Championship to Roswell admitted "We know we don’t have the lodging for 70,000 people or whatever the number is". Fred Telling, the CEO of the Reno Air Racing Association, stated that "we need a large number of hotel rooms, and this is one of the areas in which Roswell is somewhat challenged". Mr. Espiritu added "there is already a lot the city is doing like laying out parking plans, RV parking, and thinking about creating the infrastructure for the RV parks. They’re even going as far as expanding their terminal at the Roswell Air Center. But there’s a lot they have to put on hold."

So from what I'm getting right now - logging will be at a premium even with any new construction (yes, they have at least 1 new large hotel being built in Roswell), and probably out of the realm of possibilities for all but the lucky few. R/V or camping will be the only option for the majority of attendees. Not that it's necessary a bad thing, but certainly a lot different than Reno (for me).

BTW: Nice mustang James... like tthe color
                Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 06-17-2024, 04:44 PM.
                Mark K....

Comment

I'm afraid it's a pass for me. And this is not a rip on what the organization is trying to pull together and the huge amount of work done already. But it's damn tough to get to (vs. Reno) and the aforementioned hotel issues. I can definitely see the rabidly interested parties (like on this forum) making the trek and loving it. And that's a great thing! I truly hope the new site is successful, and that there aren't many people with my excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by Suds View Post
                    I'm afraid it's a pass for me. And this is not a rip on what the organization is trying to pull together and the huge amount of work done already. But it's damn tough to get to (vs. Reno) and the aforementioned hotel issues. I can definitely see the rabidly interested parties (like on this forum) making the trek and loving it. And that's a great thing! I truly hope the new site is successful, and that there aren't many people with my excuse...
                    I too think it too far and not enough rooms to ensure a good place to stay... I do have a 40' diesel pusher motorhome but the cost for that many miles would be way too high for my budget (retired fixed income big house payment) just can't justify going and... hard to admit it, my health is just not good enough for the sticks these days. I did not go out once at "last reno" I honestly can hardly lift my camera with the big lens these days since getting afib after covid vaccine
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Suds View Post
                      It's a pass for me too. I've surfed the streets of Roswell via street view and am not impressed with this place to put it mildly. Unles somehow it's the return of Reno 1988, I am out too. Not interested in having to drive at least 2-3 hours round trip a day to get to the races, since there's no rooms. We had it so good in Reno.

Comment

We really wanna go but the trek from Boise is a long one and we’ve camped at Reno the last 4 years. That’s a long haul with a trailer. May just have to go to feel it out…

we are definitely headed to Reno for the air show this year though!
                        "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post

BTW: Nice mustang James... like the color
                          Thanks! I'm a blue guy normally but that Dark Highland Green gives even my favorite blue a run for its money!

Hope to see (meet) you in Roswell!

James

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                            We really wanna go but the trek from Boise is a long one and we’ve camped at Reno the last 4 years. That’s a long haul with a trailer. May just have to go to feel it out…

we are definitely headed to Reno for the air show this year though!
                            Yeah, Memphis to Roswell will be a haul and I think you will add a couple hundred miles on top of that. I just keep thinking to myself there will only be one "first" races at Roswell. They may be off the charts fun or they may be a bit of a dud (how much of a dud can it be to watch planes and pilots push the envelop?) I'd hate to spend any of my days ahead going "I sure wish I had gone" when I could have, albeit with a bit of effort. So...count me in.

I'll be in Reno for the airshow this fall. In addition to doing what I can to give them the best chance at success in Roswell (financial support,) it is shaping up to be an excellent "traditional" airshow. C'mon October!

James

Comment

I'll be there. Accessibility might have gotten a little better for me. I had to fly to Reno. Between the airline fare and the rental car it got really pricey post-covid. Driving to Reno has never been much of an option as it is a two-day trip from PHX. Now it is an 8.5 hour drive. My bigger concerns are if there will be a box seat section, and can I get my front row box again.

Comment

Working...
                              X