No announcement yet.

Riff Raff carb induction changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that Sanders 232 inlet was composite I seem to recall. I believe the year Hoot was driving it and set that blistering qualifying lap the scoop came apart in a later heat race and part was ingested by the 3350 and another part damaged the horizontal.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

Well here is the second Sanders scoop -- more elegant is a good description. I'm not sure any more how they dealt with cowling movement. Unlike the Dawson type this one apparently did involve considerable violation of the Sea Fury cowling -- made up of unobtainium these days. There were threads on this many years back in the aafo archives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2729    WEB   2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	514.2 KB
ID:	265891
      This type of scoop moves with the cowl, which moves with the engine. Much easier to keep things sealed up. On Riff Raff, the scoop was hard mounted to the upper fuselage behind the cowling.

Comment

Originally posted by cragdweller View Post
        And that Sanders 232 inlet was composite I seem to recall. I believe the year Hoot was driving it and set that blistering qualifying lap the scoop came apart in a later heat race and part was ingested by the 3350 and another part damaged the horizontal.
        Completely different failure mode. In that particular case 232 dropped an intake valve and the resulting violent backfiring through the intake trunk blew the scoop apart.

Comment

That was a sky raider inlet mounted directly to the carburetor. The panel on the fuselage was modified to fit around the inlet.
          Riffraffray

Comment

I have to say, its really cool to see some of the long time members who have been lurkers for years, chiming in here. Thanks guys. I hope more of you guys who just lurk become active again.

This is a very cool thread, I hope it continues to evolve.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
              I have to say, its really cool to see some of the long time members who have been lurkers for years, chiming in here. Thanks guys. I hope more of you guys who just lurk become active again.

This is a very cool thread, I hope it continues to evolve.

Will
              I agree! Wayne would love it that all these beautiful pictures and technical details are showing up here during what should be race week. If I remember correctly, his last posts were questioning if this site still had a purpose. Lets keep it going.

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post

I agree! Wayne would love it that all these beautiful pictures and technical details are showing up here during what should be race week. If I remember correctly, his last posts were questioning if this site still had a purpose. Lets keep it going.
                The site will always have a purpose, we just need people such as yourself to participate. There is still racing to come. The Sport guys have vowed to venture off in their own direction, and are getting it done. They want ALL the classes to come along with them, from IF1 to the Unlimiteds. Roswell is a step in a new direction. I'm not sure if its the right direction, but its a new direction nonetheless. There will always be history to be shared, questions that can be asked, and people who have the answers (and many of those people are here on the board.) Mark and I have vowed to keep the site going, and my goal is to expand it, and make it better than ever.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post

Completely different failure mode. In that particular case 232 dropped an intake valve and the resulting violent backfiring through the intake trunk blew the scoop apart.
                  Gotcha! Great clarification!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    And Hoot spent time in proximity to Stew Dawson, with his fancy hood scoop.

Name:	_RNO2706    WEB   2.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	265873

I believe Ray has mentioned the extent of the aerodynamic clean-up that Riff Raff had (fuselage/wing reprofiling, etc.) Not sure how far SOT went with aerodynamic clean-up, but I would assume the difference is how Riff Raff was always competitive with a pretty stock engine and no fancy scoop.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Big spinner, exhaust fuselage mod, fitting gear doors tight, custom wind screen and canopy, wing and fuselage bondo...the list is endless but in the end a great pilot can really help.
                      Ray

Comment

Forward vision on the ground is not great even without a hood scoop...

Photo by Birgitta.

Name:	_BIR2660 copy.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	265919

Comment

Reno 2009.

Photo by Birgitta.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_B2R9992   WEB  1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	453.3 KB ID:	265921

Comment

I really liked the checkerboard scheme. that was a good looking racer.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                              I really liked the checkerboard scheme. that was a good looking racer.

Will

It was flashy.

Name:	_N3N3006     WEB  3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	265931

Comment

That paint scheme was pretty busy from some angles. Looks like both Hoot and Mike Keenum raced that year. An impressive wax job too...

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9917    WEB  4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.1 KB ID:	265933

Comment

Working...
                                X