Gentlemen, You don't have a race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentlemen, You don't have a race

I'm guessing a lot of us have an empty feeling about now? Normally we'd be checking in here to see qualifying speeds, and trade rumors about who will be racing Sunday.

So, what is everybody doing instead this year? Anybody going to Las Cruces next month?

Lets see here, I'm sitting here still slowly processing pics from last year (I wouldn't want to be too hasty with those.) For the weekend, I'm possibly putting together a practice race between my 95 year old San Francisco Bird boat sailboat, and another boat that is likely 60+ years newer.

I wish I were going to Las Cruces next month, but I'll be racing Hummingbird that weekend. It's the last race of the season.

Will

Comment

Gigs this and next weekend, hanging out at Chino Airport and Dana Pt Harbor. I snoozed and unfollowed all the race pages and others just for a month. Do not need " one year ago " reminders every day. It's helped. I've been bummed out enough , don't need it in my face on Facebook all day. There's nothing wrong with people sharing those posts , it's just my way of coping.

Comment

The last few weeks have been filled with the normal feelings of Reno without the satisfaction of the payoff. The angle of the sun, the temps lowering somewhat, and genetic urge to drive to Stead are all there and percolating to the surface. I am sad.
        I'm also recovering from a broken leg in April and extensive orthopedic surgery to rebuild it in June. This year would have been tough, but it would have been worth it. I will be at the airshow in October with my grandkids.

Comment

It's like the moment when you fully realize that someone very important to you is truly gone....
          Now just spending my free time getting my old truck ready for a couple of shows later this month; and trying to get a jump on figuring out my personal logistics for making Roswell the next Mecca.

Comment

I've always enjoyed all types of motorsports so when Reno was no longer an option, number 2 was sitting there waiting.... World Endurance Championship Racing (WEC). Right now I'm really enjoying the top class of racers (just like at Reno) the LeMans Hypercars. What's been awesome about this is that only 5 or 6 years ago, there was only one major manufacturer left competing at the top level (Toyota) and two independents due to the costs, rules, etc. Only 6 top class racers at LeMans... not very exciting - Toyota dominated. But after some hard work with the teams & manufactures, the WEC introduced a new Hypercar class in 2021. The simpler rules, more latitude for different engine combinations, and with now the class rules "cast-in-stone" until 2029 has gotten major results. This year there were a record breaking 23 cars in the top class (Hypercars) 19 of them backed by 9 different manufactures at LeMans 2024 earlier this year. Next year there is even going to be more with Aston Martin bringing their new Valkyrie hypercar and Genisis (Hyundia) announcing just this week they also are entering next year (two cars per Manufactuing team is a requirement for competition).

Anyway, since Reno wasn't an option I spent 7 hours watching the Lone Star Le Mans a couple of weeks ago. Since the 83 Ferrari won (gotta root for the underdog ya know... anyone but Toyota basically) I'm happy as a clam! This Sunday the 6 hours of Fuji is on the WEC calendar, so you know what I'll be doing this weekend (watching free practice, qualifying, the race, rooting for anyone but Toyota... but I'd REALLY like to see another Ferrari win ).

This year has been a great year & a great time of year for LeMans & WEC racing. If you're looking for that next need for speed... this fits the bill.
            (You'll need MAX to see the race live... the other stuff is usually on the WEC YouTube channel.)​
            Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 09-13-2024, 05:29 PM.
            Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
              I've always enjoyed all types of motorsports so when Reno was no longer an option, number 2 was sitting there waiting.... World Endurance Championship Racing (WEC). Right now I'm really enjoying the top class of racers (just like at Reno) the LeMans Hypercars. What's been awesome about this is that only 5 or 6 years ago, there was only one major manufacturer left competing at the top level (Toyota) and two independents due to the costs, rules, etc. Only 6 top class racers at LeMans... not very exciting - Toyota dominated. But after some hard work with the teams & manufactures, the WEC introduced a new Hypercar class in 2021. The simpler rules, more latitude for different engine combinations, and with now the class rules "cast-in-stone" until 2029 has gotten major results. This year there were a record breaking 23 cars in the top class (Hypercars) 19 of them backed by 9 different manufactures at LeMans 2024 earlier this year. Next year there is even going to be more with Aston Martin bringing their new Valkyrie hypercar and Genisis (Hyundia) announcing just this week they also are entering next year (two cars per Manufactuing team is a requirement for competition).

Anyway, since Reno wasn't an option I spent 7 hours watching the Lone Star Le Mans a couple of weeks ago. Since the 83 Ferrari won (gotta root for the underdog ya know... anyone but Toyota basically) I'm happy as a clam! This Sunday the 6 hours of Fuji is on the WEC calendar, so you know what I'll be doing this weekend (watching free practice, qualifying, the race, rooting for anyone but Toyota... but I'd REALLY like to see another Ferrari win ).

This year has been a great year & a great time of year for LeMans & WEC racing. If you're looking for that next need for speed... this fits the bill.
              (You'll need MAX to see the race live... the other stuff is usually on the WEC YouTube channel.)​
              WEC and IMSA have been fantastic this year!

Comment

I roadraced motorcycles for several years, and still follow MotoGP and World Superbike. I subscribe to both video packages and get to watch all of practice, quals, and racing whenever they're on. It's fantastic, the racing is usually very good, but Reno is still my first love.
                Besides, watching others race after you've been out there yourself kinda leaves things a little flat. A little.

Comment

Getting ready to ferry the B-29 from Dallas to Seattle for a week of flying...followed by a weekend of racing vintage unlimited hydroplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    Getting ready to ferry the B-29 from Dallas to Seattle for a week of flying...followed by a weekend of racing vintage unlimited hydroplanes.
                    ...i was bombardier once! i aimed for the outhouse !

Click image for larger version

Name:	My Movie.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	694.6 KB
ID:	265925
                    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      Brad.... you're making us all jealous. Next time just lie and say you were spending the weekend in the yard pulling weeds so we don't feel so inferior .
                      Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post

Unfortunately Ferrari and Toyota seem to have zero interest in racing in IMSA. Their loss. Looking forward to Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta next month. Click image for larger version  Name:	b8dda870-3665-4520-afad-4ce744377b13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	654.8 KB ID:	265952

Comment

Those Cadillac's sound just so nice.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post

Unfortunately Ferrari and Toyota seem to have zero interest in racing in IMSA. Their loss. Looking forward to Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta next month.
                            I'm very much looking forward to watching that race too.... but more for the GTD & GTD PRO class racing. I do follow IMSA racing as well as the WEC, I also found it odd that Toyota, Ferrari, and others don't compete in both series... but I'm sure there are a lot of considerations at play that possibility make it just way more expensive than it's worth. Hopefully that changes.

BMW did awesome at Fuji.... liked seeing them on the podium for a change.
                            Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                            X