Why no rollbars....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why no rollbars....?

I think the original Super Corsair had some sort of rollover protection. I know of two Sea Fury landing accidents which resulted in fatalities, where the aircraft tipped over and trapped the pilot. My details may not be 100% accurate, but in at least one of them, the accident seemed survivable if there had been a stucture in place to keep the canopy area from completely compressing when making contact with the ground. Chuck

Comment

Wasn't there a Sea Fury that ran off the runway at Sun and Fun a few years back that did that very thing? I think it was a plane most on here would be familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
        Wasn't there a Sea Fury that ran off the runway at Sun and Fun a few years back that did that very thing? I think it was a plane most on here would be familiar with.
        It was at Sun'n'Fun 1996. Per the factual report ( http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...96FA118&rpt=fa ), the pilot died of "postural asphyxia". I think that means his neck or torso was bent, without breaking, to where he could not breathe.

From what I have gathered, the accident was a low speed departure off the side of the runway, due to crosswind, and a fairly mundane noseover. Quite probably survivable had there been a rollover structure.

Comment

The Rare Bear roll-over structure was removed due to canopy clearance interference and weight issues.
          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
            The Rare Bear roll-over structure was removed due to canopy clearance interference and weight issues.
            That's interesting. Was it included in the stock build of the Bearcat?
            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

All the T-6/SNJ, & Harvards have roll over protection. I believe all carrier qualfied tailhook equiped aircraft had roll over structure.
              Mystical Power

Comment

Originally posted by Race#21
                All the T-6/SNJ, & Harvards have roll over protection. I believe all carrier qualfied tailhook equiped aircraft had roll over structure.
                If you will note that when Lyle was taking off or landing the canopy was open, this was another Navy procedure. So the pilot had an easier route for getting out of the plane instead of being trapped by the plexiglass.
                John Slack

Comment

John, how much did that structure weight?

Comment

When did they start requiring that the T-6/SNJ's have a roll structure. I think it was in '81 when one ended up turned over on a take-off incident in quals and I know it didn't have a roll structure in it.

Comment

Originally posted by BJH
                      When did they start requiring that the T-6/SNJ's have a roll structure. I think it was in '81 when one ended up turned over on a take-off incident in quals and I know it didn't have a roll structure in it.
                      I believe it was in '85 or '86. I know of at least one T6 that had it welded back in about then.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer
                        It was at Sun'n'Fun 1996. Per the factual report ( http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...96FA118&rpt=fa ), the pilot died of "postural asphyxia". I think that means his neck or torso was bent, without breaking, to where he could not breathe.

From what I have gathered, the accident was a low speed departure off the side of the runway, due to crosswind, and a fairly mundane noseover. Quite probably survivable had there been a rollover structure.
                        We talked with Dennis Sanders about this very incident during PRS this year and he said even if the plane had the rollover structure it probably still would’ve been bad. When the plane flipped, it did it in the soft grass off to the side of the runway, and with that much weight coming down, the rollover structure would’ve just dug in. Also, he said that Charlie was wearing the harness with the inertia-reel which locked him in place not allowing him to move.
                        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                          If you will note that when Lyle was taking off or landing the canopy was open, this was another Navy procedure. So the pilot had an easier route for getting out of the plane instead of being trapped by the plexiglass.
                          Indeed, in the stands we knew that was Lyle's signature.

When the P51 accident happened at OSH last week, I noticed Casey Odegaard was landing the D model with its canopy wide open. Ironically, the canopy was slammed shut by the force of the collision, and he jettisoned it. I suspect the canopy track was damaged, perhaps preventing him from just rolling it back open.
                          _________
                          -Matt
                          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                            ..I suspect the canopy track was damaged, perhaps preventing him from just rolling it back open.
                            I believe the cable for the canopy control, runs through the area that was cut by the prop, and he had to jetison the canopy to get out.

Paul

Comment

Pretty much what I figgerd, given the proximity of the canopy track slot to the area that was disturbed.
                              _________
                              -Matt
                              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

What is the proceedure for jetison of the canopy?

Comment

Working...
                                X