Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'STEADY THERE now, Hoss!'

Originally posted by Fantum
    Ordinarily I have the sense to stay out of these things, but on this occasion I have to make a contribution.

It's September '87, and that's DBD hisself workin' it to capture the essence of Bill Destefani, Dwight Thorne and Bill Kerchenfaut posing with their winning thoroughbred, Strega.

(click)
    LOL... interesting you noticed... Over the years at Reno, it really doesn't matter where you are at the site.. Stay at that point for an hour or so, and you'll eventually see Bucky pass through... shooting *something* as he goes!

A toast to one of the greatest photo historians of modern day air racing!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Can't sit here and not play.... Posted this during Reno... it actually earned me two totally wet vest pockets.. (gotta know? gotta ask)

Shot at 1600 iso... no flash, available light. D2H, a camera not noted for high iso performance.. original was pretty noisy (digital color noise) remove much with Neat Image Pro..

1/1.6 second F4 35mm with the 24-120mm VR.... (VR ON)...

I was kneeling, had a few beers and just held myself still..

Nice thing about digital, even though, it gets pretty darn (digitally) noisy at higher iso.. I'd have never had a roll of 1600 iso film to shoot this with...

This is a pretty steady shot, though I'm not, notabaly a steady shooter... I think Victor, Bucky and the rest of the best would agree.. sometimes you just plain "will" a shot....

I tried a few while laying on my belly on the ramp.. for which I earned the wet vest award.. (nuther story for nuther time)...

Anyway.. Hadda play...

Certainly not the best ever hand held, available light, night time "prop circle" but..

For a 57 year old with shaky hands, certainly a good ad for VR lenses!

Attached Files
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Holey Smokes & a BIG W-O-W!, Wayne, on that awesome Sept. Fury nite runup shot! You been holdin' out on the goodies again <g>. (MAYBE someday I'll get lucky enough to take a shot like that. (That's, of course- 'IF' my timing's right to be 'johnny-on-the-shot' in the first place...). BRAVO! (Maybe Jan Peters was shooting then too? - Ref. his nite shot posted in my 'Bump in the Nite' thread).

You're absolutely right - sometimes you actually DO will yourself to get the shot when it presents itself. Then, how 'bout all the times we end up chokin' ('flinching', whatever ya wanna call it) on those bigtime shots that we get the chance to take....? I know I stopped counting those many missed photo ops - always seems to be some great surprises when we edit shots, that we didn't even recall shooting ('consolation prizes', maybe?). DBD

BTW - You're awfully generous with your kind kudos (They're much appreciated, nonetheless.). Thank You.

Comment

Like Tim, I was also using the Dago Red tug as a tripod. I tried to trap my monopod against it with my body.

After a billion exposures this was probably the cleanest. For board purposes this one is a twofer ("Nose Shot" and "Steady There")...
          Attached Files

Comment

Moving Forward...

Thinking it's time to get back to Bucky's fine thread!!!

I love the FLAME DANCE shots!! Any more of these???

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead
              Like Tim, I was also using the Dago Red tug as a tripod. I tried to trap my monopod against it with my body.

After a billion exposures this was probably the cleanest. For board purposes this one is a twofer ("Nose Shot" and "Steady There")...

Whatever works that's handy at the time is the rule. ('Tug tripods' included - I've used 'em too! <g>).

Still waitin' to see Tim's original 'color version' he promised. Thanks to your neat take, I can patiently wait a bit longer to see it, he-he. DBD

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
                Whatever works that's handy at the time is the rule. ('Tug tripods' included - I've used 'em too! <g>).

Still waitin' to see Tim's original 'color version' he promised. Thanks to your neat take, I can patiently wait a bit longer to see it, he-he. DBD
                Color,

Comment

"V-NYCE, Tim!!!" (Gives me goosebumps jest lookin' at the blue-flamer stacks!) Oh Yeah! Big Thanks Tim & Rob - for posting BOTH versions, guys! (These would look cool side-by-side w/Wayne & Jan's similar nite pics of Race #232, I'd betcha!). DBD
                  Last edited by BuckyD; 02-06-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X