X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mig/ Griffon

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
    What are the winglets for?
    Just one of the 700 billion things that are available to us.
    I have mostly dismissed this thot because the wing fences basically eliminate the airflow over the wing that winglets rely on.
    But it still looks cool. So I did a drawing with them.

CG, it's not just for Hollywood anymore.
    [CG in this case meaning computer generated. Not Center of Gravity.]
    Roger O'Day

Comment

Hi folks, interesting and fun concept there, does anyone have good link to a site with technical information on the Mig-17? It sure goes fast around
      the course with an afterburner! (Reno 2000 jet demo race)
      Last edited by John; 12-12-2008, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
        Ormand Haydon-Baillie raced a Sea Fury in 1971 and 72.
        Attached is a pic of the T-Shirt Bluffman wanted to show here.
        The team
        t-shirt from Baillie race team.
        Last edited by Flyer57; 12-12-2008, 07:48 PM.
        Roger O'Day

Comment

Let's try this
          Attached Files
          Roger O'Day

Comment

Wasn't Haydon the one who flew the pylons while talking the whole time including grunts & groans over the PA system to the delight of the fans?
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

I have been searching for other suitable airframes, but the only one with any possibility is the MIG17, and there's lots of them. Of course the engine is a problem also, the Griffon is about the only choice, but they are getting rare, as are the contra rotating props. With the Mustangs, Bearcats, Corsairs getting so valuable, and the Sea Furys not far behind, there's got to be a way to continue "Unlimited Air Racing".

I know, the sound of the Merlins, 4360s, and 3350s is a big part of the show for fans and participants alike, but I don't have a clue what else is available. I have been pondering a H-24 Lycoming, but the heads not being cross-flow kind of blows that prospect. (this will surely get a buzz going!) The Napier-Sabre H-24 wasn't too bad, the sleeve valve configuration was the weak point.

I did run into something interesting though.

Larry
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bluffman
                I did run into something interesting though....
                Larry
                If you end up with similar results as the "Thunderscreech", you can probably pick up Sani-Hut as a sponsor.
                Last edited by Apteryx; 12-19-2008, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                  If you end up with similar results as the "Thunderscreech", you can probably pick up Sani-Hut as a sponsor.
                  Or Depends™.

Comment

Comments about "Thunderscreech", porta pots, and diapers, et all, have nothing to do with my MIG concept. "Screech" had Allison XT40-A-1 turbine that was very noisy, but the main thing making the horrible noise was the supersonic propellers. They turned a constant 3,000 RPM, and blades were rotated from full feather to provide whatever thrust the pilot chose. Tip speed of blades was Mach 1.18 constantly. Supersonic props are not part of my idea. The Russian Tu- 144 props only turn at 800 RPM normally, but there are reports from attempted intercepts, that they sometimes crank them up to avoid the interceptors, and props get very noisy.

Larry

Comment

Same basic reason the C-130 and P-3 are so noisy on the ground.
                      Of course a totally different idea, with the big turboprop and such, but not so different in many ways.
                      You do have to admit tho Bluffman, it DOES kind of look like the XF-84. I have always thought it looked cool!
                      I look forward to seeing it move, well, forward!
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by bluffman View Post
                        Skyracer has it pretty close to my drawings, comments by others interesting also. I think I have the prop length problem covered also. It works out on my drawings. Like Skyracer said, "It's do-able." I don't want to disclose too much yet, but there are some of you that will excercise some brain cells and figure it out. It gets more and more interesting the deeper I get into it.

Larry
                        shorten the mains?

Comment

Working...
                        X