Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FAVORITE FURIAS FOTOS

Originally posted by BuckyD
    (- only if you squeezed the shutter button by coincidence during panning, would you\'ve gotten this on film - \'ala-Jim Larsen\').
    Are you making reference to the infamous \"Whittington Sneeze\" picture from the 1976 qualifying run? One of the most dramatic photos out there. Absolute pure luck.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim
      Are you making reference to the infamous \"Whittington Sneeze\" picture from the 1976 qualifying run? One of the most dramatic photos out there. Absolute pure luck.

Jim

Does anyone have this photo? I would like to see it.

Comment

i do just not sure were its at

Comment

Why the bumps on Furias' gear doors? Haven't noticed them even on stock Furies...

Comment

Not necessarily favorite...just the only ones I could find.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dvddude
              Does anyone have this photo? I would like to see it.
              Short of getting Mr. Larsen to post it here himself, your best bet is to find the February (I think) 1977 issue of Air Classics. It has the B-17 Sally B on the front cover.

The opening double page spread of the Reno coverage is a black and white of Don Whittington\\\'s Mustang blowing the engine just as he crosses the finish line on his qualifying run. The lower cowling and induction trunk are about a foot below the plane. It\\\'s a little bit out of focus, but still a very dramatic photo.

It is one that very obviously Mr. Larsen didn\\\'t even know he had until he got the film developed, because my guess is the sound of the backfire hadn\\\'t even reached his position yet at the time he snapped the picture.

One in a million.

(Sorry, I don\'t mean to be taking the thread away from the Furias topic)
              Last edited by Big_Jim; 01-14-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichH
                Why the bumps on Furias' gear doors? Haven't noticed them even on stock Furies...
                There are different model/variation sea furies out there. I believe Furias has a heavier set of landing gear, which necessitates the bump.

Michael

Comment

Here are some pics of Furias over the years.

I've recently been scanning my old Reno and Mojave slides into the computer. I'll send some along they cover 1970-present.
                  Mike
                  Last edited by Outer6; 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Use a bigger hammer - Furias edition.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ignomini; 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim
                      You know what\'s wrong with that photo? Still has the engine cowling on.

The memory of that incident still gets the pucker factor going all these years later. By the time ol\' Lloyd got her on 08 safely, I think the cowling pieces were still fluttering down in the breeze out by pylon 7.

Don\'t suppose anyone has photos of Furias rolling out on the runway after that one, do they?

Jim
                      Here's an admittedly BAD one of Furias taxiing in after that infamous Silver heat and the resulting emergency landing. It was my first time in Reno and my first day at Stead.

Anyone recognize who's waving at Hamilton?

Comment

Originally posted by 88SC
                        Here's an admittedly BAD one of Furias taxiing in after that infamous Silver heat and the resulting emergency landing. It was my first time in Reno and my first day at Stead.

Anyone recognize who's waving at Hamilton?

Thanks for posting. I believe that's Dwight Thorn. DBD

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD
                          Thanks for posting. I believe that's Dwight Thorn. DBD
                          That's quite rare. He's not wearing his shorty shorts!
                          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Here's another one...

Sunday - 9/10/00: FURIAS over at Stead Field's 'Wash Rack'.

This was taken right after ferry pilot- Bud Granley's arrival w/FURIAS in its' new post-red & gold paint scheme, & its' bath to remove the coat of oil from the ferry flight down. (Art Vance was assigned as FURIAS' race pilot).

After taking my shot, I walked back to the pits w/owner- Bill Rogers & another crewman, and complimented him on FURIAS' new racing motif by stating I felt it was reminiscent of the Post-WW2 Thompson Trophy era (which he noted was what they were indeed shooting-for, when the team picked the color scheme).

I've since always wished for a photo op w/FURIAS & Super Corsair Race #57 going around the pylons together one day, for a colorful cool comparison of those two R-4360 racers' paint flavors to help check that viewpoint's accuracy a bit more. DBD
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BuckyD; 02-18-2009, 10:19 PM. Reason: Caption text correction (pilot ID) fm reader post.

Comment

Re: FAVORITE FURIAS FOTOS--

Interesting tidbit on the paint:

I first met "Furias" at the Olympic Flight Museum during the Gathering of Warbirds in the spring of 2000 when Art Vance was shuttling the plane its new home on Paine Field and stoped in Olympia for fuel and a couple of gallons of oil!

I got to know the crew over the next several years as the plane was based just up the road from me. That summer the furrias crew did an amazing job fixing up the airplane--including the paint job.

However, since they were running the old motor that season (which was dumping oil like mad), they needed a paint scheme that would not show the oil streaks after each flight. Anyone wandering the pits in '00 would likely remenber the "containment" burm around the Furias pit! Actually, after each race, they would "furiously" wipe down the shiny new paint to get the oil streaks off. Man it was a leaker! Hence, the dark blue on the bottom was motivated by a leaky motor....

Kraz
                              ----------
                              http://www.krazmania.com

Comment

Big Thanks, KRAZ, for the 'extra color' commentary (w/photos & graphics, no-less!) on FURIAS' contemporary racing color scheme!

And BTW - A Warm- 'Welcome Back' to the site, Sir!

DBD

Comment

Working...
                                X