X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CubersWrist
    replied
    Re: Tsunami rebuild update

Race #30 used to have a NACA duct and some tubing feeding the turbos. Pressure recovery was bad. Now some of that is due to the tubing, but there was a conscious decision to go with the twin scoop inlets we have now.

I have a NACA paper that studied the pressure recovery of a scoop inlet vs a NACA duct. I wasn't able to find it online so I'll see if I saved the hard copy. But the gist was pressure recovery from a scoop was equal to if not better than a NACA duct.

The possible advantage of a NACA duct is you don't have to add a fairing on the back side of the scoop (think of the BF-109 supercharger inlet) So there is a possible weight/drag reduction. But for the areas you are talking about, which is right above the spinner there would be no benefit to the NACA duct. You aren't changing the frontal area and you don't have an issue with an after-body fairing because it gets built into the fuselage.

Here is a different NACA paper that compared the two styles. Reno speeds are down in the .4 mach range so it's not a perfect report to use, but it was what I could find. Basically the scoop inlet was always equal to or better than the NACA (summary of Results 1. and you can see it in figure 11). Test includes different mach numbers and angles of attack.

Last edited by CubersWrist; 12-05-2021, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
    Thanks Will. I know Stilletto and MAII had them and wondered how common they were, and why Tsunami seemed to just change.
    MA2 had one for the scoop. It wasn't the easiest thing to setup if I remember. They might have had one for the intake as well, but I can't remember. You might start here. http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...ications/page6 and perhaps here. http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...+II+NACA+scoop

Will

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

Thanks Will. I know Stilletto and MAII had them and wondered how common they were, and why Tsunami seemed to just change.

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
    This may be the wrong place to ask but I?ve been wondering. Recently I rewatched the two YouTube videos covering the construction of Tsunami and noticed originally she had a NACA inlet on top of the cowl rather than the scoop we?re all familiar with.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when and why that decision was made?
    I don't know for sure, but I'd bet it was because they weren't getting enough flow through the NACA duct. They are low drag, but I've heard from several sources that if its not placed exactly perfectly, they don't work well and the air will flow around them, rather than into them.

Will

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

This may be the wrong place to ask but I?ve been wondering. Recently I rewatched the two YouTube videos covering the construction of Tsunami and noticed originally she had a NACA inlet on top of the cowl rather than the scoop we?re all familiar with.

Can anyone enlighten me as to when and why that decision was made?

Leave a comment:

• ZacYates
    replied

So, so good to see these pics. Thanks Will!

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
    Forgive me if I missed it...is the Tsunami team pointing towards PRS 2023 as their target date or is it too soon to tell?

And BTW, thanks for posting these. Seems I never have time to spend in the pits and vendor areas anymore. Much appreciated!
    The Tsunami guys don't have a target date as far as I know. They both have real jobs and work on it when time allows. They are also running into a space issue. They are far enough along that they need more space to work on the plane, and they simply don't have it.

I think I heard John say he was going to start in on the wings this winter. The materials cost for the spars is going to be pretty high, so that could be a factor.

As awesome as it would be to see them flying by 2023, I kinda doubt it will happen. Still, one can always hope.

Will

Leave a comment:

• Air Boss
    replied

Forgive me if I missed it...is the Tsunami team pointing towards PRS 2023 as their target date or is it too soon to tell?

And BTW, thanks for posting these. Seems I never have time to spend in the pits and vendor areas anymore. Much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

For everyone who couldn't see Tsunami in person, here you go.

They are making headway. I think the next step is to pull the cleko'ed panels off, sand blast them and primer them, then rivet them on for good.

Will

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

Good news, so awesome of team Tsunami to share their progress.

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

Tsunami has now left the building... and can be seen a Oshkosh.

Will

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

"We back drilled the right empennage skin today and we will hopefully finish the left tomorrow, then it?s time to start packing for Oshkosh."

Will

Leave a comment:

• Reever
    replied

Wow, really taking shape.

Leave a comment:

• Desertdawg
    replied

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    Will,

Can't say enough for team Tsunami and sharing the story. Big thanks to you for staying the course with this thread young man.

A lot of progress for sure.

Leave a comment:

• RAD2LTR
    replied

More progress.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 06-26-2021, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X