No announcement yet.

How many big round engines this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many big round engines this year?

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
    I wondered about the 3350 on the Corsair but at least on Corsair was modified to race with a 3350.

Spacegrrrl
    Yes, Robert Mitchum's "Big Hummer" in 1970. It only raced a couple years and had mixed-success at best--but it never really had a lot of money infused into it, nor was it ever really tested effectively. It is currently in a museum in Colorado still in race condition.

Comment

And the F2Gs have 3350s, which is what initially confused me.

Comment

No, F2G's have P&W R-4360 Major radials

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
          No, F2G's have P&W R-4360 Major radials
          D'oh, time to go back to school.

Comment

Bob M.'s Corsair NEVER had an R-3350. An old myth that seems to die very hard. In 1972 at Reno many were convinced it was running the Wright engine after some pre-season speculative press(Don Berliner's Competition Scene in Air Progress was one place it was mentioned but then as maybe a possible R-4360 upgrade) and Bob was letting folks believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell View Post
              Bob M.'s Corsair NEVER had an R-3350. An old myth that seems to die very hard. In 1972 at Reno many were convinced it was running the Wright engine after some pre-season speculative press(Don Berliner's Competition Scene in Air Progress was one place it was mentioned but then as maybe a possible R-4360 upgrade) and Bob was letting folks believe it.
              That's certainly where I got it from many moons ago. I believe it is also mentioned in one of the 'special' Air Racing magazines that were published in the early 70's as well...

Not sure if Kinnert comments on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                That's certainly where I got it from many moons ago. I believe it is also mentioned in one of the 'special' Air Racing magazines that were published in the early 70's as well...

Not sure if Kinnert comments on it.
                I saw what was supposed to be a picture of it and it was captioned as having clipped wings and a 3350. I was puzzled as the cowl looked stock and I don't believe a 3350 would fit in a stock cowl.

Anyone near the museum that could snap some photos and solve the mystery, or better yet someone directly involved that could confirm?

Spacegrrrl

Comment

#74 has a 4360
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would really like to know if it is a R-2800 or a R-3350. To me, the positioning of the magnetos make me think it is a 2800, but it is hard to peek though the cowl from 1200 miles away..

http://www.wingsmuseum.org/exhibit_corsair.asp
                    http://www.warbirdregistry.org/corsa...fg1-92050.html
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Mag shape is wrong for a 3350. These are more conical than cylindrical. Looks like a 2800 to me...

Comment

FAA database shows it as having a R-2800.

Also, R-3350 is 3" larger in diameter (R-2800=52.8", R-3350=55.8").

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                          I saw what was supposed to be a picture of it and it was captioned as having clipped wings and a 3350. I was puzzled as the cowl looked stock and I don't believe a 3350 would fit in a stock cowl.

Anyone near the museum that could snap some photos and solve the mystery, or better yet someone directly involved that could confirm?

Spacegrrrl

I took these a few years ago of race #94.
                          Don't know if these will help i.d. the engine or not.
                          Definately clipped wings.
                          Race #94 is still at the Wings Over the Rockies museum at Lowry (Denver, CO)
                          I hear it is for sale for a mere $2 mill.
                          Attached Files

Comment

For whatever it's worth, it never 'raced' in the condition it's in in the museum now.

The last year it raced was 1972. It had a small, crude downdraft intake on top of the cowling. Only the wing 'caps' were removed, and it had a Skyraider prop.

The modifications you see in the photos of it in the Museum (i.e. the nice cowling with the modified exhaust, the oil cooler intakes, the concave wingtips, the big tail stinger, etc.) were all done to the aircraft after it stopped racing.

Even the nice paint job...the natural metal with the checkerboard trim, was added after it stopped racing.

Comment

So for what it's worth;

I'm bored, (Sitting in NY for the weekend on "Reserve") So I called the Wings Over the Rockies Museum.

Talked to a very nice lady that said she didn't know what engine was in it but, they had taken out the original engine and replaced it with a bigger one. But didn't know what it was. She had a very nice gentleman name Hue call me back and said it is a 3350.

Comment

Well, looking at the pictures from the museum and the others... that is definitely a CB series R2800 nose case, visible just behind the spinner in Warpt's first thumbnail. For reference:
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by RichH; 08-13-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X