No announcement yet.

How many big round engines this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many big round engines this year?

I don't see it, those "tits" on the 2800 are much sharper and more pronounced than that first picture. Im not saying it's not a 2800 but those two cases aren't the same to me.

Comment

I keyed on the "tits" also, but was looking at them as a way to confirm, not rebuke the similarity. I think the difference is an illusion from the different angle and lighting. The bumps look to be in the same location and same general shape. Would be interesting to find a similar picture of a 3350 for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
        I think the difference is an illusion from the different angle and lighting. The bumps look to be in the same location and same general shape. Would be interesting to find a similar picture of a 3350 for comparison.
        Right... angle, lighting, level of polish, etc is the only difference I see. Magneto shape and placement are identical to the CB16. The un-painted disk (looks like a coin) at the midline is the Governor Oil Transfer Pipe Plug... an identifiable feature right there.

The R3350 nose case has a completely different shape:
        Attached Files

Comment

It has a race prepared CB-17, civil Pratt&Whitney R-2800, that was built by a well known engine builder, but I cannot remember his name. I believe it was modestly modified and carefully blueprinted. He still builds aerobatic hot rod engines, located in Colorado.
          Neat looking airplane, I always hoped it would continue to be developed into a competitive racer when it was current in the 70's, but once Bob Mitchem died I never saw it again. I've heard that it has never flown since.
          Chris...

Comment

I remembered his name, Monty Barrett.
            Chris...

Comment

I just saw some new pics of Furias on the facebook site, even without paint its looking fast. Very cool looking bird.

Will

Comment

Working...
              X