Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Future

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
    The VOS deadline is the fence. I can't count how many times I have seen the jets go behind me on the fence and never get called for a cut. I'm not sure where the deadline for 6 is, but it may be a little further out than you think it is.
    If its a safely issue, ie two planes, one spot, I better break the deadline or we ain't gonna make it through, that's fine. I am 100% against an aircraft that just flat out can't make it around there in the allotted space, whatever it may be. I just can't believe I'm the only one who sees this with the Vampire. As "tight" as RARA runs things, I can't believe they haven't done something about it.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. It's just that the Vampire scares me.

Back to the future. I say no more Jets. Open up a Turbine class.

There we go, back on topic.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      Lol.... only BeerNazi gets to call me sugar.... It's been a long time since someone has spelled my name that way.... did you go to Sparks High???

Sparks High! I can't stop laughing!

Comment

Originally posted by 500RL View Post

Sparks High! I can't stop laughing!
        Ya, ouch. Glad I went to McQueen.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Didn't they race Staggerwing Beechcraft one year?
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Ok, I got it... A fleet of those Jet Stearmans.. --> with a Vertical course. Race down the home stretch, pull vertical and back over down the home stretch the other way and repeat. Huh? Brilliant.

The comments about the jets is pretty interesting. I typically find myself watching the jet race from over by the Press office behind those nice steel hangars. They aren't going to be going any slower.
            Tom Johnson,
            Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
            www.airpowerinsurance.com

Comment

Have any of the jet pilots expressed similar concerns? It would be interesting to hear from someone that's done 515+ on the course.
              Sky Critter

Comment

Sorry Wayne- my bad, you do realize that 12:24 is like going on 4 AM here and I was doing my best to keep Ol'girl trimmed straight and level. I get that the U and A keys are nowhere near each other- near as I can figure in my drunken stupor I must have figured that anybody who hangs with this crowd must be a real Beauty!

I did however want to add to my post on another point concerning your interview: that being "if you build it- they will come." Ya see, Kerch is brilliant because he pays attention to detail. It is not the pilots or the engineers, nor the Merlins or the 3350's, nor is it Reno- just like it aint the landing gear or the tires; we have all that, what is missing is the purpose built aircraft. 10, just 10; if you can get 10 purpose built race planes built- pack your bags fellas....it is goin' be one hell of a ride.

I look at it like a 4x8 sheet of tin, most people all they see is a sheet of tin. I see a dash or a fender; others may see a turtle deck or a cowl, but the point is that we humans built things because it is in our DNA. Unlimited air racing has to this point in time ridden on the back of opportunity. Until it is done out of necessity unlimited air racing will never be free to take on its own form.

We all love the Warbirds, how could you not. In a nutshell what I am trying to say is that it is not the planes but air racing itself that is the vehicle we use to pursue our passions. As beautiful as they are, and how wonderful a ride they have given us- we need to get over our love affair with them in order to grow this sport.

P.S. My wife said that I am too serious and called me a "[I]kill-joy[I]"- I ran in and put on my driving suit-Flame Away!

CC
                "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaChuck View Post
                  It is not the pilots or the engineers, nor the Merlins or the 3350's, nor is it Reno- just like it aint the landing gear or the tires; we have all that, what is missing is the purpose built aircraft. 10, just 10; if you can get 10 purpose built race planes built- pack your bags fellas....it is goin' be one hell of a ride.

CC
                  C.C. i know what you mean, yes we all love the warbird based unlimiteds, and we all love the speed.. and your right its not just one thing that makes Reno what it is.... it is everything..
                  I know there are 4 purpose built racers out there in various stages of construction that i know of... the Wildfire project, American Spirit/Jackson-Cornell project and DG's Shockwave project that has been on the market for a long time.. and the rebirth of Tsunami... the one thing all these projects need... CASH.. lots of it, to design and build a clean sheet airplane is massive.. to paraphrase the old saying.. what does it take to make a small amount of money to make and airplane... a large amount of money...
                  race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                    C.C. i know what you mean, yes we all love the warbird based unlimiteds, and we all love the speed.. and your right its not just one thing that makes Reno what it is.... it is everything..
                    I know there are 4 purpose built racers out there in various stages of construction that i know of... the Wildfire project, American Spirit/Jackson-Cornell project and DG's Shockwave project that has been on the market for a long time.. and the rebirth of Tsunami... the one thing all these projects need... CASH.. lots of it, to design and build a clean sheet airplane is massive.. to paraphrase the old saying.. what does it take to make a small amount of money to make and airplane... a large amount of money...
                    I think its "How do you make a small fortune? Start out with a large fortune and an unlimited racer".

Comment

Now that it's been made official: The FAA and RARA have decided to not allow any of the Viper engined L-29s to race this year. I know it's a bad deal for the owners and pilots, but it is needed for safety. I for one agree with the decision 100%.

Comment

Well, the demise of the jet class may have just started. According to Race 21's FB page, RARA has banned all of the Vipered L-29s from racing this year.
                        Sky Critter

Comment

Gee. The Viper L-29's were banned, eh?

Hmmmmm....too bad someone didn't see this coming earlier.

Oh yeah...someone did. But when the incident that led to this was brought up for debate on this site a few weeks ago, that someone was beaten down pretty hard for daring to suggest something of that nature. And I think that someone even asked the question "what if".....if that someone was proven right, what then?

Well? What now?

Comment

1 week before the races, and they ban these guys? What about all the time and effort they've put into making Reno 2011? Seems like if they were going to ban this type of airplane from racing, they'd give them plenty of notice. Like, let them race this year, but starting in 2012, no more. I wasn't aware they were that unsafe.......I guess I wasn't seeing it. Sorry they won't be there, but safety has to be number 1.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                              1 week before the races, and they ban these guys? What about all the time and effort they've put into making Reno 2011? Seems like if they were going to ban this type of airplane from racing, they'd give them plenty of notice. Like, let them race this year, but starting in 2012, no more. I wasn't aware they were that unsafe.......I guess I wasn't seeing it. Sorry they won't be there, but safety has to be number 1.
                              Brian
                              Agree completely. This is total horse****. Way to drop the ball RARA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                                Well, the demise of the jet class may have just started. According to Race 21's FB page, RARA has banned all of the Vipered L-29s from racing this year.
                                Link?

Comment

Working...
                                X